Start-up business funding is available for handicapped individuals. The process is time consuming and lengthy.
To obtain vocational rehabilitation funding the individual must:
- Receive training from SCORE, SBDC, a micro-enterprise practitioner, comparable training, or training if available through the Tennessee Division of Rehabilitation Services.
- Develop a formal business plan.
- Participate financially through personal funds, a PASS plan (See separate PASS SCORE/SBDC handout) or a business loan.
The funding is subject to the Department of Human Services funding availability, an economic need test, and the purchasing policy of the Division of Rehabilitation Services.
The amount of funding is limited to:
- 100% of the allowable costs for self employment expense up to the first $5,000
- 50% of additional expenses over $5,000 and up to $10,000 (Maximum: $2,500)
- 25% of additional expenses over $10,000 and up to $20,000 (Maximum: $2,500)
However there are exceptions which would permit a higher amount of funding.
This material was supplied to SCORE by:
State of Tennessee
Department of Human Services
Division of Rehabilitation Services
531 Henley Street, Suite 520
Knoxville, TN 37902
Telephone (865) 594-6720
SCORE and SBDC are available to counsel and assist with the paperwork required to obtain Vocational Rehabilitation funding, including the preparation of a formal business plan.